Wednesday, April 12, 2017

The Promise of Divine Protection


THE Israelites were in danger as they entered the region of Sinai early in 1513 B.C.E. A fear-inspiring trek lay before them, a journey through a “vast and terrible wilderness infested with poisonous snakes and scorpions.” (Deuteronomy 8:15) They also faced the threat of attack by hostile nations. God whose name is Jehovah had brought his people into this situation. As their God, would he be able to protect them?

God’s words were most reassuring, Exodus 19:4 says “Ye have seen what I did onto the Egyptians, and how I bare you on eagle’s wings, and brought you unto myself”. God reminded his people that he had delivered them from the Egyptians, using eagles, as it were, to carry them to safety. But there are other reasons why “wings of eagles” fittingly illustrate divine protection.

Why do “wings of eagles” fittingly illustrate divine protection?

The eagle uses its broad, strong wings for more than just soaring aloft. In the heat of the day, a mother eagle will arch her wings—which may span over seven feet (2 m)—to form a protective umbrella, shielding her tender nestlings from the scorching sun. At other times, she wraps her wings around her offspring to protect them from the cold wind. Just as the eagle safeguards its young, so God’s had shielded and protected the fledgling nation of Israel. Now in the wilderness, his people would continue to find refuge in the shadow of his mighty wings as long as they remained faithful. But can we today rightly expect God’s protection?



 God is certainly capable of protecting his servants. He is “God Almighty”—a title indicating that he possesses irresistible power. (Genesis 17:1) Like an unstoppable tide, God’s son Jesus’ applied power cannot be thwarted. Since he is able to do anything his will directs, we may ask, ‘Is it Jesus’ will to use his power to protect his people?’

5 The answer, in a word, is yes! Jehovah God and His son assure us that they will protect their people. “God is for us a refuge and strength, a help that is readily to be found during distresses,” says Psalm 46:1. Since they “cannot lie,” we can have absolute confidence in their promises of protection. (Titus 1:2)

Let us consider some of the vivid word pictures used in the bible to describe God’s protective care.

Isaiah 54:17


No weapon that is fashioned against you shall succeed, and you shall confute every tongue that rises against you in judgment. This is the heritage of the servants of the Lord and their vindication from me, declares the Lord.”

Psalm 91:1-16


He who dwells in the shelter of the Most High will abide in the shadow of the Almighty. I will say to the Lord, “My refuge and my fortress, my God, in whom I trust.” For he will deliver you from the snare of the fowler and from the deadly pestilence. He will cover you with his pinions, and under his wings you will find refuge; his faithfulness is a shield and buckler. You will not fear the terror of the night, nor the arrow that flies by day, ...

Isaiah 40:28-31


Have you not known? Have you not heard? The Lord is the everlasting God, the Creator of the ends of the earth. He does not faint or grow weary; his understanding is unsearchable. He gives power to the faint, and to him who has no might he increases strength. Even youths shall faint and be weary, and young men shall fall exhausted; but they who wait for the Lord shall renew their strength; they shall mount up with wings like eagles; they shall run and not be weary; they shall walk and not faint.

Isaiah 26:3-4


You keep him in perfect peace whose mind is stayed on you, because he trusts in you. Trust in the Lord forever, for the Lord God is an everlasting rock.

Psalm 18:1-6


A Psalm of David, the servant of the Lord, who addressed the words of this song to the Lord on the day when the Lord rescued him from the hand of all his enemies, and from the hand of Saul. He said: I love you, O Lord, my strength. The Lord is my rock and my fortress and my deliverer, my God, my rock, in whom I take refuge, my shield, and the horn of my salvation, my stronghold. I call upon the Lord, who is worthy to be praised, and I am saved from my enemies. The cords of death encompassed me; the torrents of destruction assailed me; the cords of Sheol entangled me; the snares of death confronted me. ...

Psalm 91:10


No evil shall be allowed to befall you, no plague come near your tent.

John 3:16


“For God so loved the world, that he gave his only Son, that whoever believes in him should not perish but have eternal life.

Psalm 121:1-8


A Song of Ascents. I lift up my eyes to the hills. From where does my help come? My help comes from the Lord, who made heaven and earth. He will not let your foot be moved; he who keeps you will not slumber. Behold, he who keeps Israel will neither slumber nor sleep. The Lord is your keeper; the Lord is your shade on your right hand.

Psalm 1:1-6  


Blessed is the man who walks not in the counsel of the wicked, nor stands in the way of sinners, nor sits in the seat of scoffers; but his delight is in the law of the Lord, and on his law he meditates day and night. He is like a tree planted by streams of water that yields its fruit in its season, and its leaf does not wither. In all that he does, he prospers. The wicked are not so, but are like chaff that the wind drives away. Therefore the wicked will not stand in the judgment, nor sinners in the congregation of the righteous;

Daniel 12:1


“At that time shall arise Michael, the great prince who has charge of your people. And there shall be a time of trouble, such as never has been since there was a nation till that time. But at that time your people shall be delivered, everyone whose name shall be found written in the book.


1 comment:

Ota Trade Exhibition 2017 Debut in November

L-R: Fisayo Ajibola, Chief Executive Officer, Perfect Brands,  HON. (Prince) Bashir Oladele Adeniji, Executive Chairman of Ado-Odo/Ot...